ABOUT ME

Monday, October 22, 2007

MUSIC: Efforts to Get "God Save the Queen" to Number One

An article I found on my netvibes.com home page. This came from New Melody Express. - OlderMusicGeek

The Clash team up with Sex Pistols
Band members back efforts to get 'God Save The Queen' to Number One
09.Oct.07 12:00pm

The Clash's Paul Simonon has backed efforts to send his punk rivals the Sex Pistols to Number One this week (October 9).

The bassist, who now plays with The Good, The Bad & The Queen, says he thinks a good idea to try to get 'God Save The Queen' to the top of the charts.

NME.COM is backing a campaign to send the record back to Number One next week after it was cheated out of the top spot 30 years ago.

'God Save The Queen' was denied its rightful place at Number One because the authorities feared the punk anthem would spoil the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977.

We want to right that wrong and are encouraging everyone to buy the record this week (from October 8) as the track is reissued on vinyl.

Either head down the record shop now or you can buy it from 7digital.com or other downloaders like iTunes.

"Should we get 'God Save The Queen' To Number One? I can't see why not!" declared Simonon. "Phone John [Lydon, Sex Pistols' singer] up and see what he says!"

His former bandmate, The Clash's Mick Jones also thought the effort was a good idea, but joked he didn't need to buy the single as "I've already got a copy!"

Join the campaign to send Sex Pistols' 'God Save The Queen' to Number One. Let us know what you think of the track by sending your thoughts to news@nme.com with Pistols as the subject and we'll print the best.

No comments:

Search This Blog

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Music That I've Enjoyed Recently

My Internet Radio Stations


This is a fairly good sampling of some of the music I listen to. It's missing a few genres I like - such as cajun. I'll work on that later. But it does contain most of my favorite artists. I tried to steer away from the better known songs to give you a better idea of what kind of music the artists play, but I was limited by the songs the website - Project Playlist - had available. But if you want to get an idea of what I listen to, just hit the play or arrow button. - OlderMusicGeek

The internet station that does the best of playing my music is Last.fm. Here's my station if you're interested.

This website, OlderMusicGeek Radio on Pandora.com, does a fairly decent job of playing what I like, although they do occasionally play stuff I don't care for, but overall they're pretty good.