ABOUT ME

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

MUSIC: Tracklist to some mixed tapes

My car has a tape deck, so I'’ve been listening to my old cassettes including the mixed cd'’s I made in my college days, my days in Africa and my days after I returned home before I could afford something to burn cd'’s on. Therefore, they'll be listed on the side bar as a tape I'm listening to, so I thought I'd let you known what's on them. I'll put them on the blog as I listen to them.

ASSORTMENT I
-– A mixed tape made in 1985 of mostly alternative stuff from the collections of my younger brother, my musician friend and myself.

Side One
Planet Earth (dance version) – Duran Duran
I Travel – Simple Minds
“Antmusic” – Adam and the Ants
King’s Lead Hat – Brian Eno
Images of Heaven – Peter Godwin
Endlessly – John Foxx
Young Savage – Ultravox!
Around the Dial – The Kinks
Atom Age – XTC
Lip Service – Elvis Costello
Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll – Ian Dury and friends

Side Two
Sharkey’s Day – Laurie Anderson
Waiting for the Man – Orchestral Maneuvres in the Dark
Target for Life – Our Daughter’s Wedding
Kebab Traume (played at 45 rpm instead of 33) – Deutsche Americanisch Fruendshaft (spelling?)
Jukebox Baby – Alan Vega
New York City – T. Rex
Take Care of Me – Iggy Pop
Glad to be Gay – Tom Robinson
Nice and Neat – Boomtown Rats
Homicide – 999
All of This and Nothing – The Psychedelic Furs
Sharkey’s Night – Laurie Anderson


ASSORTMENT III – A mixed tape made in 1986 mostly from records in my collection and from the library in the town of my college.

Side One
I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight – Richard Harris
Top Hat, White Tie and Tails – Fred Astaire
(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care – Elvis Presley
Flip, Flop and Fly – Jools Holland
If Sugar was Sweet as You – Rockpile
Deadman’s Curve – Jan & Dean
Wasn’t Tomorrow Wonderful? – The Waitresses
Good Morning Starshine/The Flesh Failures (Let the Sun Shine In) – Broadway cast of Hair
Isn’t She Lovely – Stevie Wonder
Touch Me – The Doors
September Song – Lou Reed
Bang a Gong – T. Rex
Train in Vain – The Clash

Side Two
Let Me Out – The Knack
Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles
Cannon Song – Fowler Brothers w/Stan Ridgway
Get Me to the Church on Time – Alfred P Doolittle
Speed of Life – David Bowie
Be My Wife – David Bowie
A New Career in a New Town – David Bowie
They Don’t Want Me – Wall of Voodoo
So Lonely – The Police
Maybe Baby – The Cars
He’s So Fine – The Chiffons
Like a Rolling Stone – Bob Dylan
Mull of Kintyre – Paul McCartney and Wings


ASSORTMENT XII – A mixed tape of mostly alternative music made in the mid-1990’s from my kid brother’s cd’s, tapes, vinyl records and even 8-tracks.

Side One
Main Titles (from Star Wars) – John Williams and The London Symphonic Orchestra
Walk in Cold – Naked Raygun
Wonder Beer – Naked Raygun
Beach Party Viet Nam – The Dead Milkmen
The Laundromat Song – The Dead Milkmen
Ziggy Stardust (acoustic demo version) – David Bowie
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) – David Bowie
Loretta – Exit
The Song (We Go) – Ultravox
Dancing with Tears in My Eyes – Ultravox
I Don’t Remember – Peter Gabriel
Biko – Peter Gabriel

Side Two
Gimme Your Money Please – Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Roll On Down the Highway – Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Closer to the Stars – Soul Asylum
Cartoon – Soul Asylum
Beggars and Choosers – Soul Asylum
Girl U Want – Devo
Gates of Steel – Devo
Burning Love – Elvis Presley
Like a Virgin – Madonna
Like a Virgin – Lords of the New Church
Never Understood – Jesus and Mary Chain
Subway – Jesus and Mary Chain
Kicks – Naz Nomad and The Nightmare (The Damned)
Ignite – The Damned


ASSORTMENT XIII – A mixed tape made in the mid to late 90’s of cd’s from the library.

Side One
Honey – Moby
South Side – Moby
Box Full of Letters – Wilco
Jacob and Sons – Laurie Beechman and cast of Joseph and His Technicolor Dreamcoat
Joseph’s Coat - cast of Joseph and His Technicolor Dreamcoat
One More Angel – Steve McNaughton and cast of Joseph and His Technicolor Dreamcoat
Intoxication – Sir Douglas Quintet
Rocks – Primal Scream
Sister – Juliana Hatfield Three
This is the Sound – Juliana Hatfield Three
Moneytree – MxPx
Laughing in the Face – Hindu Rodeo
Kutambarara (“Spreading”) – Kronos Quartet with Dumasani Maraire

Side Two
Mai Nozipo (“Mother Nozipo”) – The Kronos Quartet with Dumisani Maraire
Wawshishijay (“Waterwheel”) – The Kronos Quartet with Obo Addy
Hang on to Your Ego – Frank Black
Sitting Still – R.E.M.
Shaking Still – R.E.M.
The Pretty Things are Going to Hell – David Bowie
Breakfast – The Foo Fighters
Evening at Lafitte’s – Squirrel Nut Zippers
Say “Ten” – Reel Big Fish
All I Want is More – Reel Big Fish
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah – from Song of the South
When You Wish Upon a Star – from Pinocchio
Deep Karma Canyon – Bob Mould


ASSORTMENT XIV – A mixed tape made in the mid 90’s of cd’s from my older brother and the library.

Side One
Ethnicolor (excerpt of the beginning) – Jean-Michel Jarre
Zoolookogie – Jean-Michel Jarre
Rosetta – The Men They Couldn’t Hang
Diamonds, Gold and Fur – The Men They Couldn’t Hang
Flaming Desire – Bill Nelson
I’m Not the Man I Used to Be – Fine Young Cannibals
Don’t Look Back – Fine Young Cannibals
Evangeline – Matthew Sweet
Tubular Bells (Part One) (excerpt of guitar in the middle) – Mike Oldfield
The Wanderer – U2 featuring Johnny Cash
Yellow Pearl – Phillip Lynott with Midge Ure

Side Two
Zoolook – Jean-Michel Jarre
Talk Talk – Talk Talk
Dead End Job – The Police
A Sermon – The Police
I Want to Be a Boss – Stan Ridgway
Mouthful of Sand/Roadblock – Stan Ridgway
Coming Down Fast – Daniel Ash
Temptation – New Order
Bizarre Love Triangle – New Order


ASSORTMENT XVI – A mixed tape made in the mid 90’s of cd’s, tapes and vinyl records of a buddy of mine from my childhood including stuff he inherited from his sister.

Side One
She-Bop – Cindy Lauper
Move This – Technotronic
Turned to Stone – Electric Light Orchestra
How Soon is Now – The Smiths
Jungle Love – The Steve Miller Band
Holiday in Cambodia – The Dead Kennedys
I Want to be Sedated – The Ramones
Sheena is a Punk Rocker – The Ramones
Do You Wanna Dance? – The Ramones
Wait for the Blackout – The Damned
Are You Experienced? – Devo
Love Removal Machine – The Cult

Side Two
Pressure Drop – The Clash
C’mon Every Beatbox – Big Audio Dynamite
Roam – The B-52’s
All I Wanna Do – Sheryl Crow
Why? – Tracy Chapman
Never Never – Scruffy the Cat
Tiny Days – Scruffy the Cat
Calling All Nations – INXS
Angel Eyes – Roxy Music
More Than This – Roxy Music
House of Cards – Adrian Belew
Timing X/Space Junk - Devo

No comments:

Search This Blog

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Music That I've Enjoyed Recently

My Internet Radio Stations


This is a fairly good sampling of some of the music I listen to. It's missing a few genres I like - such as cajun. I'll work on that later. But it does contain most of my favorite artists. I tried to steer away from the better known songs to give you a better idea of what kind of music the artists play, but I was limited by the songs the website - Project Playlist - had available. But if you want to get an idea of what I listen to, just hit the play or arrow button. - OlderMusicGeek

The internet station that does the best of playing my music is Last.fm. Here's my station if you're interested.

This website, OlderMusicGeek Radio on Pandora.com, does a fairly decent job of playing what I like, although they do occasionally play stuff I don't care for, but overall they're pretty good.