ABOUT ME

Sunday, March 09, 2008

MUSIC: Workers Reveal Their ‘Head Songs’

This is from my work's newletter. Music videos were added by me! I got most of them from YouTube. :) - OlderMusicGeek

Employees reveal their ‘head songs’
2/18/2008

We recently asked employees with “jingle’-itis” to share the songs that enter their minds and don’t always leave. Below are their heads songs. Try singing one of these next time a song you heard 10 minutes ago—or 10 years ago—suddenly pops into your own head and won’t fade.

Woo hoo, woo hoo hoo
“The one song that is always in my head is the Vonage song, ‘Woo hoo, woo hoo hoo,’” says Leslie **** of Management Support-Security at ***. “I replay it in my head to the beat of walking. I’m a people watcher, so it is kind of fun to play it in my head and watch someone carrying stuff or chasing a child around a store,” she says. (This is Song 2 by Blur - OlderMusicGeek)


Last man standing
Jodi ****, correspondence examiner at ***, often hears the lyrics to “You Give Love a Bad Name” and “Living on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi. “Back in 1986, all I listened to was Bon Jovi and ended up joining the fan club,” Jodi says. “I’m still a member, 22 years later.” “Last Man Standing” by Bon Jovi is another Jodi favorite. In 2006, at his Milwaukee concert, Jon Bon Jovi sang this song from a stand at the end of the arena, and “I had very close seats,” Jodi says. “Now, whenever I hear this song it reminds me of that concert.” (I don't like anything by Bon Jovi, but that stupid song of "You Give Love a Bad Name" always sticks in my head too! - OlderMusicGeek)


There’s nothing my God cannot do
The lyrics from “My God Is So Big,” hold intuitive significance for Jackie **** of Montana ***:
“My God is so big, so strong and so mighty,
There’s nothing my God cannot do.”
“Years ago, when we were selling our house, every time something was about to go awry, this song would pop into my head,” Jackie explains. “Sure enough, within a very short period of time, our realtor would call and say, ‘I’ve got some not-so-good news.” She adds, “Now that song pops in my head often, both to remind me who is in control, and often when things might be going awry!”


Mahna Mahna, do doo be-do-do
Angela **** of Imaging Systems at *** says, “More often than not, I’m walking around
humming ‘Mahna Mahna’ from the Muppets.” The lyrics go like this:
“Mahna Mahna
Do doo be-do-do
Mahna Mahna
Do do-do do
Mahna Mahna
Do doo be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do-doodle do do do-doo do!”
(The actual name of the song is "Mah Na Mah Na" - OlderMusicGeek)


If we didn’t eat Cheesy Poofs we’d be lame
Noah **** of System Support Services at *** says the “Cheesy Poofs” song from South Park gets stuck in his head “because it’s so dumb.”
“I love Cheesy Poofs
You love Cheesy Poofs
If we didn’t eat Cheesy Poofs
We’d be lame.”
“So if you see me in the hallways with a big ol’ smile, it’s because I got ‘Cheesy Poofs’ stuck in my head,” Noah says. “I’m hoping to sing it at karaoke one of these days.”



I’m late, I’m late, for a very important date
Elizabeth **** of the NAS Web and Portal Team at *** rushes to the beat of White Rabbit’s song from Alice in Wonderland. She explains, “With back-to-back meetings, I scurry from meeting to meeting,” and her feet step to the beat of:
“I’m late, I’m late,
For a very important date.
No time to say hello, goodbye
I’m late! I’m late! I’m late!”
(I could only find this Spanish version video. - OlderMusicGeek)


If it says Libby’s Libby’s Libby’s on the label label label
Harold **** of Audit in Washington *** says when he moved to Seattle and “experienced the miracle of television reception” there was an ad for Libby’s canned vegetables on TV that worked its way into his psyche:
“If it says Libby’s Libby’s Libby’s
On the label label label
You will like it like it like it
On your table table table.”
“And they say advertising isn’t brainwashing,” Harold adds.
(Sorry, I couldn't find a video for this one. - OlderMusicGeek)

I fell into a ring of fire
Thomas **** of DME Appeals at Grand Forks *** cures jingle-itis by putting a song he loves into his head on purpose. “One song that I listen to every single morning when I get to work is Johnny Cash’s ‘Ring of Fire,’” he writes in an e-mail. “I have just about every song Johnny Cash ever recorded, but this one is what gets me going in the morning.”
“Love is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring.
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire.”
Thomas adds, “I have even converted a few of my coworkers to being a lover of Mr. Cash as well. There’s hope for our society after all.”

No comments:

Search This Blog

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Music That I've Enjoyed Recently

My Internet Radio Stations


This is a fairly good sampling of some of the music I listen to. It's missing a few genres I like - such as cajun. I'll work on that later. But it does contain most of my favorite artists. I tried to steer away from the better known songs to give you a better idea of what kind of music the artists play, but I was limited by the songs the website - Project Playlist - had available. But if you want to get an idea of what I listen to, just hit the play or arrow button. - OlderMusicGeek

The internet station that does the best of playing my music is Last.fm. Here's my station if you're interested.

This website, OlderMusicGeek Radio on Pandora.com, does a fairly decent job of playing what I like, although they do occasionally play stuff I don't care for, but overall they're pretty good.